confessions of a deviant mind

To save my head from hitting the table
I cup my hands to support my chin
and wedge my knees under the table
wearing my trouser fabric thin.

His voice is droning in my ears
affecting me like a sleeping draught
I am not to be blamed later if
my above posture resembles a deep thought.

My almost closed eyes form a thin veil
and the blur that is the prof says out aloud
“this is a final reminder for those in cyberspace,
kindly close your laptops in 5 minutes around.”

Despite being so close to the wall
he uses the laser to point onto the board
either he won’t further dirty his chalk dusted hand
or he wants a hole through the stone bored.

I feel a sharp jab in my rib
it is the attendance register being passed
I put in my compressed squiggle
before it got onto the front row tossed.

Now that I am wide awake
I decide to look at the others
why am I not very surprised to find
that no one actually bothers.

This guy whispers to the girl beside him
I smile when they both laugh inside
but I am woe betide when my glance fell
upon the closed laptop at my side.

I dream about writing my blog
I dream about writing a book
If I wrote my chapters as posts, I worry
if it would be called a blook.

The girl in front of me is vigorously taking notes
with the absence of any internal cacophony
but I am not able to fathom how in the world
she is able to understand his illegible calligraphy.

My fingers yearn for their lost lover
and the entrapped lover seems bored
the separation I am talking here about is
between my fingers and the keyboard.

The girl takes a break from the pen and
pulls the rubber band from her tied up hair
I realized she is human too when
when she pulled at them in despair.

Some people are still half awake
But really most are abject
But blessed are those sleeping with their specs on
due the tube’s light they reflect.

There is a sudden chill in the class when
the asked question makes the silence deafening
slowly with zero response from the batch
the prof has his hour of reckoning.

The prof says “my submission to you
so be it even if you got to use poke-a-yoke
to teach you how does a CEO think
and by the way that was a joke”.

The class is stone faced even now,
but realize that from their side the prof expects
some sort of active reaction
and certainly they cannot be now tongue tied.

So out pops a hand to break the embarrassment
in a desperate attempt at class participation
the mouth asks a vague question with words
from the visible slide, a universal solution.

My head swivels towards the clock
only to spring back in exasperation
as had happened a million times before
the hands were not even moving in slow motion.

Later seeing the murderous stares from the class
the coco realizes that time has flown by
decides to raise the alarm and pull the plug.
I could have kissed the coco, only it was a guy.
________________________________________________

What can one do when the prof in the class is a dictator and makes u shut your laptop and listen to his droning lullaby… well this post was written during that terrible 70minutes today and is dedicated to all those 70 minutes that have been endured by me and my batch… I am sorry but you got no choice but to grin and bear my new found talent and also praise the post in your comments. And frankly speaking, if a dolt like me could bring this out in 1 hour, think of what creative people can do in this inspiring lecture…

Somewhere I read that the average attention span for an average human being is around 20 minutes… that is after 20 minutes, say in a lecture, your mind starts wandering off thinking of things that are more interesting to it than the balding old prof standing in front of the white board… Now I got a valid research backing to say that I was never at fault…
(After reading this poem I don’t think I have to separately crib about the lecture.)

5 comments:

SRK said...

This is toooooo goood... I salute the new bard!!!

Ashu said...

Interesting read... good work :)

WARMAN said...

Though its the saga which evenone of us IM'ites have to endure but it has a universal appeal :)

spiderman! said...

absolutely crappy poem...but the disclaimer saves the day...! i never knew asking for a break could invoke this kind of a feeling in people ;)

Anonymous said...

:))... I didnt know we had a Poet in IM. Very nice work!!! Keep it up.